Thursday, October 31, 2013

Kindness

A few years ago, for a Christmas vacation, we visited my Grandparents in Provo Utah. I always loved these trips to Utah, because it meant we got to see the cousins, our friends, and go skiing a few times. Many of my fondest memories growing up are from those trips to Utah. While I loved these trips, I often dreaded Sundays there. My parents would have us go to church to my Grandparents' ward, where I knew nobody. If we were lucky enough, my younger brother and I were able to convince our parents to let us leave after the first hour. Some years we weren't as lucky, and had to attend the following two hours where we actually had to interact with strangers of our own age.

This particular Christmas vacation was one of those times where we couldn't convince our parents to let us leave church after the first hour. Being the shy, timid kid that I was, I was so scared as I walked to the class that I would attend. Moments like this used to scare me so much, and I was less than excited. As I sat in the class, everyone noticed me and I did the usual introductions. I sat there anxiously looking at the clock hoping it would move much faster.

Well, things were different this time. The group of guys there, while I do not know their names, had a lasting effect on me. They made me feel welcome. Not only did they say nice things, they made me feel like I was part of their group of friends for that day. I left that day actually enjoying my experience at church, because I had felt comfortable and part of the group. By the end of the day, I actually felt like I was part of their friend group.

The kindness did not even stop there, that very night my grandparents received a call, and said it was for me. To my surprise, it was one of the guys from church that day inviting me to play basketball the next morning! While I did not attend because we had other plans, I was shocked at how far out of the way this kid had gone just to make me feel like his friend. These kids had no reason to really try and make me their friend. I wasn't moving there, and they knew that. I was only gonna be there for a couple of weeks. Other then the painful couple of hours I would have experienced at church, the rest of the vacation I would have been fine hanging out with family and friends.


So why did they do it? Because they understood something most people don't. They understood that kindness makes other people happy, whether or not they need that kindness. They understood that when we are kind to others, we help them feel God's love for them. Christ's Gospel is one that teaches that we should be kind to one another. He was the perfect example of kindness through his love and service to one another, and taught that we should love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34).

I have found great joy as I have learned to do this in my life. I'm still not perfect, I still get grumpy some days, but I try to show my kindness to everyone through loving them and serving them. People have stories, experiences, feelings, and emotions, and often times they want to let people in. They put up walls of defense because of past negative experiences in life. Through loving and serving others, they open up, and I am often able to help them. This brings both joy in my life, and in the life of many others. As I do this, all I am doing is spreading what those kids in Provo, Utah taught me several years ago, and what the Master Teacher taught us all 2000 years ago. Everyone wants to be loved, and will accept your kindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment