Monday, October 21, 2013

Mormons: Who Are We?

I'm sure there are many people that wonder what us Mormons believe. They just know we are "different" then the rest. I remember once in High School a girl came up to me and said "hey, I heard Mormons aren't allowed to eat peanut butter. Why not?" So, I explained to her about how peanut butter makes us all loopy, so we don't eat it. Just kidding. I eat peanut butter almost every day.



I recognize that some of these rumors are true, like the fact that there are a lot of Mormons with big families. I would like to take the time to clarify everything to the best of my ability. My prayer is that through these posts, more people can understand what we believe and why we do what we do. 

Probably one of the more common questions I have heard about us "Mormons" is whether or not we are Christian. That's a great question. I want to specifically address this question in this blog post, and pray the Holy Ghost guides me as I do so.

The short answer is yes. Yes we are Christian. We are known as Mormons, but this is just a nickname. Our church is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We are referred to as "Mormons" because of the Book of Mormon. People say we aren't Christian because we believe in a book that isn't the Bible. This is not true, because, the Book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ". Therefore, if the definition of being Christian is "believing in Christ," then we are some of the most Christian people you can meet. We speak of Christ, and rejoice in him.

Christ means everything to me. He is my Savior, Redeemer, and Friend. He died for you, and for me. He came to this world, descending below everything, just because He loved us. He performed miracles and was baptized by John the Baptist. He taught the truth, established his church, and was our perfect example. He raised Lazarus from the dead, changed water into wine, and was resurrected. He suffered in Gethsemane for every pain, affliction, sickness, and sin. He is Jesus the Christ. I know I am a Christian, because of my belief in Christ. There are also millions of other strong believers in Christ in the "Mormon" church.

The other way to define a Christian in my mind is trying to live life in a way that reflects what he taught. I am far from being perfect, and have a lot to do, but I live my faith by serving him. I believe that we should love and serve EVERYONE in the world. I try to do that daily, even though I'm not perfect at it. I also believe in humility, patience, charity, diligence, obedience, hope, faith, and knowledge. I believe in second chances. I believe family life is one of the most important things. I show I am a Christian, by trying to be better every day. I also see many other amazing people in this church trying to live to be Christ-like. As it says in the Bible "by their fruits ye shall know them,"  and the fruits of Mormonism is the way millions of people live their lives in a Christian way.


No comments:

Post a Comment